NCE02078 The last one? 最后一枝吗?
entitle v. 以……为名
after reading an article …. 读完一篇…..文章后
entitled ‘Cigarette Smoking and Your Health’ 以”吸烟与健康”为标题的文章
after reading an article entitled ‘Cigarette Smoking and Your Health’ 过去分词短语修饰article
after reading an article that was entitled ‘Cigarette Smoking and Your Health’ 改成定语从句后
calm v. 使镇定
nerves n. 神经
I lit a cigarette to calm my nerves. 我点上了一技烟,来镇定一下自已紧张的神经.
choke v. (使)窒息,哽噎
sob v. 抽噎; 啜泣
in choking sobs 抽抽泣泣地哭泣
she began to weep in choking sobs,and david tried to calm her. 她开始抽抽泣泣地哭泣,david 尽力安慰她。
shake 颤抖
excitement 激动
shake with excitement 因为激动而颤抖
walk over 走到
He was starting to shake with excitement, and to calm himself he walked over to the window. 因为激动他开始颤抖起来,为了使自己镇定下来,他走到窗口
The chairman tried to calm their fears. 主席尽力地安慰他们使他们不至于害怕。
concentration n. 集中,专心
I smoked with concentration and pleasure 我聚精会神而又愉快地吸着这枝烟。
as I was sure that this would be my last cigarette 因为我确信这是我最后一技烟
For a whole week I did not smoke at all 整整一星期我根本没吸烟
and during this time 在此期间
suffer v. 受苦,受害
my wife suffered terribly 我妻子吃尽了苦头
symptom n. 症状
I had all the usual symptoms of someone giving up smoking 戒烟人的常见症状我都有
give up something 放弃某事
give up doing something 放弃做某事
intention n. 打算
politic v.(贬)从事政治活动;
politics 政治
I don’t have any intention of giving up politics. 我根本无意放弃政治
She never completely gave up hope. 她从来没有完全放弃希望。
temper n. 脾气
enormous adj. 巨大的
appetite n. 胃口,食欲
an enormous appetite 食欲旺盛
a bad temper and an enormous appetite 脾气暴躁,食欲旺盛
cigar 雪茄烟
My friends kept on offering me cigarettes and cigars 不断给我递烟和雪茄
keep on doing something 持继不断做某事
They kept on walking for a while in silence. 他们在沉默中又走了一会儿
I am so sorry to keep on coughing. 我一直咳个不停,不好意思
They made no effort to hide their amusement 他们毫不掩饰的表现出对我感到好笑
produce v. 拿出
whenever I produced a packet of sweets from my pocket 每当我从口袋里拿出一包糖果时
make effort to do something 为了达到某种效果而付出额外能量[extra energy]
mothers had to make the effort to go out to a play area with their children 母亲总得下好大决心才能带孩子们出去玩
make not effort to do something 反义词[make effort to do something]
it is not surprising at all that he should fail to get the first place.he made no effort to win to start with .他没有拿到第一名,根本不令人惊讶,因为从一开始他就没有努力去赢。
Come to see me whenever you feel you have to talk. 你要是想找人谈了,就来看我吧。
physical adj. 身体的; 肉体的
conflict n. 冲突; 争执
I avoided physical conflict whenever possible. 只要有可能我就避免与人发生肢体冲突
recollect v. 记起; 回忆起; 记得;
Whenever I recollect her face it is smiling or laughing. 什么时候我想起他的脸,总是一张笑脸
After seven days of this I went to a party 这样过了7天之后,我去了一次聚会
Everybody around me was smoking 我周围的每个人都在吸烟
and I felt extremely uncomfortable 我感到非常不自在
urge v. 力劝,怂恿
When my old friend Brian urged me to accept a cigarette 当我朋友Brian极力劝我接受一枝烟时
it was more than I could bear 我再也忍不了啦
I took one guiltily 我内疚的接过一枝烟
satisfaction n. 满意,满足
light lit lit v. 点燃
lit it and smoked with satisfaction 点燃它并心满意足的抽起来
delighted adj. 欣喜的
My wife was delighted 我妻子十分高兴
once more 再一次
that things had returned to normal once more 再一次又恢复到了正常
Anyway 不管怎么说
as Brian pointed out 正如布赖恩指出的那样
it is the easiest thing in the world 这是世界上最简单的事.
to give up smoking 戒烟这件事
He himself has done it lots of times 他自己就已戒了很多次了
they are watching a baseball game [现在进行时]他们正在看棒球比赛
he has been collecting stamps since he was a boy [现在完成进行时]他从小孩时开始就一直在集邮
the teacher holding a young tree in her left hand is miss lee [现在分词短语做定语]左手拿小树苗的老师是李小姐
Dick stood there, thinking about what he was going to do with the money [现在分词短语做状语] dick站在那,想着要拿这些钱去做什么
The news seemed very encouraging [现在分词短语做表语] 消息听起来让人鼓舞
I enjoyed watching the boys making a snow man [现在分词短语做宾语] 我喜欢看这些男孩子堆雪人